View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well you never know what someone will get at the deadline, the last one seemed like a dud but in other years it's been crazy. That said if we are talking about next deadline, we'll see if he can get a late 1st or not, as much of his salary for the year will be paid and at least he'll have only 1 year left.
I don't see how we wouldn't have gotten that for him this year. The prinicipal return in our trade was not the 2nd, it was Bourque. And that's what makes the whole thing so sad. PG actually WANTED Bourque instead of rebuilding. The 2nd was incidental.
Quote:
As for the pick, we'll see where it is and how the good the draft ends up being. Personally I'll take my chances next year vs this year, but the good thing is it doesn't matter cause we now have the pick so now we just have to wait and see how it unfolds.
Sure, we'll wait and see. I can't imagine a scenario where a full round later is better regardless of how deep the draft is though. You'd have to find very extreme scenarios for it to be the case. And I'm not talking about cherrypicking one pick either... I'm talking about the 2nd round of one draft being stronger than the 1st round of another. Maybe if you compared the strongest draft ever (1979 - which was a double draft with 18 & 19 year olds) vs. the one of the weakest (1996) it might pan out (and it would be interesting to look at actually) but I doubt that's the case here.
Quote:
Of course you can defend this trade, if you are sane and rational/logical. Just because you hate it doesn't mean you are right, so to suggest you can't defend it shows you are not open to discussing or debating, just my way my way my way.
You can defend anything you want. But the evidence is damning here that we rushed out to make this deal because PG was embarrassed. It's not like this deal was made on deadline day. The deal was panned and it's not surprising at all that Bourque has sucked.

So sure... defend it. But it's a hard deal to spin. Then again, that didn't stop supporters from defending the Gomez deal over the last few years either so..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think too many people liked the Gomez trade but some understood the logic behing it. If McDonough had become Alex Picard and Gomez was putting up 60 points every year like his 1st year, I think you wouldn't hear much. He'd still be overpaid by about 2 mil but fans could live with it like the Briere contract in Phillie.
Those who "understood the logic behind it" were using wishful thinking and taking an apologist stance. They are Hab fans unable to look at things objectively. If the Leafs had made the same move, these same fans would've laughed themselves silly... guaranteed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The price WAS driven up. Of Calgary wasn't desperate and he didn't have a history there we'd have been lucky just to get Bourque(similar struggling player but 2.67 mil less in cap hit) straight up.
Yeah, it was driven up. That's why we dealt Cammy in the middle of a game the very next day...

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote