vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
PP

Kariya-Nieuwendyk-Howe
Salming-Larson

vs.

Martinec-Morenz-Cook
Quackenbush-Ross

I hadn't really looked at it before, but Martinec's domestic numbers are really underwhelming. His resume is really based on his international play. Here are the domestic scoring results of Martinec, Novy, and Nedomansky:

Martinec: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5
Novy: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3
Nedomansky: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5

Now, let's look at their scoring on an international level(Olympics, WC, and Canada Cup) where Martinec "thrives":

Martinec: 87 games, 48 goals, 50 assists, 98 points (1.126PPG), 70-71 to 79-80
Novy: 86 games, 51 goals, 38 goals, 89 points (1.035PPG), 74-75 to 81-82
Nedomansky: 92 games, 78 goals, 31 assists, 109 points (1.185PPG), 64-65 to 73-74

I'm failing to see what distinguishes Martinec so much. I think we've made too big of a deal about those finishes over Boris Mikhailov. If you actually look at the finishes, they make little sense. Martinec's all star selections at RW were from '74-'77. Boris Mikhailov didn't even play in the World Championships in 74-75. Here are their stats in the World Championships in that time frame:

Martinec: 40 games, 31 goals, 30 assists, 61 points (1.525PPG)
Mikhailov: 30 games, 27 goals, 21 assists, 48 points (1.6PPG)

Martinec wasn't even statistically better than Mikhailov in these years. I can't explain why Martinec won the awards. My only explanation is that Martinec played a very "pretty" style of hockey compared to Novy, who played a less exciting game.

Now to the actual comparison between Kariya and Martinec. Comparing them is difficult, but looking at the numbers I just showed on the two, I think Martinec is either overrated, or Novy is severely underrated. In terms of better offensive production, I'll personally take Kariya.

Morenz and Nieuwendyk is no competition, Morenz wins in a landslide.

Howe and Cook are the two best RW power forwards in hockey history. Cook is a great player, but he's no Howe. Nobody is Howe. Howe gets the advantage here.

Quack and Salming is a difficult comparison to do. Quackenbush has high finishes among scoring for defensemen, but came at a time where the difference between 2nd and 10th was just a few points. Look at the percentages, and Quackenbush will look much better. But, he played through the war years where competition was very weak. Salming played in a highly competitive era in terms of scoring defensemen, and in a deeper league. But, if you look at career adjusted PPG, Salming's is .577 over 1,148 games. Quackenbush's is .383 over 1,010 games when you adjust Quackenbush's games. I'll take Salming offensively.

I really don't know how to compare Art Ross to Reed Larson offensively. I'll leave it at both were very good offensive players.

First PP units are a slight advantage to Philadelphia. The largest gap is between Morenz and Nieuwendyk, by far. But, that is the only advantage that Chicago has in this matchup. Kariya is better than Martinec, Howe is better than Cook, and Salming is better than Quackenbush. I think the fact that Philadelphia has the advantage in 3 other areas makes up for Chicago's larger advantage at one position. Philadelphia also has the best player on either line in Howe.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote