View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
You don't trade Boyle to shake up the team. This decision is much tougher and more complex than about shaking up the team. Moving Dan Boyle is about figuring out what this team is going to be in the two years he has left here. There's no guarantee he will play after that and, if he does, play here. Doug Wilson will have to ask himself if he sees this team as being Cup ready in the next two seasons. Are the issues that need to be repaired fixable in the two year window that is Boyle's contract. If it's going to take longer, and in my mind it will, you have to trade Boyle come July. That is when trading him opens up and where he will have the most value because the longer he plays and the longer into his contract we get, the less his value is.

If there were windows in the contracts of Havlat, Thornton, and Marleau, I would say the same thing at this point. As much as I would prefer to keep Marleau and Havlat as I think they are more geared towards the solution this team needs to go to, you still have to see what's out there for them and whether it will improve the team or not.

If the team moves Boyle, it at least opens up the option of playing Burns with the top talent more plus it allows both Demers and Braun to play their natural side, if you decide against signing Brad Stuart. It also gives you the flexibility of looking for the best deal rather than completely focusing on team needs. They can use more puck-movers on the left side and it'd be better if that was their natural position. They can use more youth and speed up front. But they can take back a young right d-man and move Braun or Demers out to make room and address other things if necessary.

Yes, you get worse by moving Boyle but they just aren't at a point where things can be fixed in the two years he has left so they have to get something for him while they can.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote