View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM
rideaucrusher21

vCash: 500
I am in the camp that, although there definitely needs to be some changes, the Sharks' cup window is still open. Trading Boyle, I believe, would be hugely detrimental to the Sharks if their goal is to win the cup within the next few years. He should not be traded, he's one of the bright spots. The Sharks have been beaten with speed, and Boyle has not been the problem when facing these faster teams. Chicago, Vancouver, and now St. Louis. I'm optimistic in that I think the Sharks have the talent and the assets to position themselves for a serious cup run in the next 2 years.

In my mind, the problem stems from the lack of speed in the top 6 fwd group. Jumbo, Thornton, Pavs, and Couture all have average-below average speed. I would think a couple of those guys would have to be replaced with faster players. It seems to me that a Sharks' turnover high in the offensive zone = odd man rush the other way for the opposition. Whereas, if the Sharks forced a turnover high in the defensive zone, couture, clowe, etc. are too slow to make it an odd man rush. This effect is compounded when competing against a much faster top 6, like St. Louis.

Thornton has been the best player on the ice every game this series. He led a decade in points, he's a generational talent. San Jose got good by acquiring players like him, not trading them. He stays, no question in my mind. Couture is a rising star. I expect him to continue to get better and he'll be a #1 center in no time. No way we're trading him.

That leaves Pavs and Clowe. Pavs is awesome, he's signed to a great deal, and he's everything and more you want from a hockey player. I would trade him ONLY if we got a massive return. I'm talking speedy top 6 forward, 2 1st rounders, maybe a couple more picks. It would be very hard to see him go, but I would understand the logic.

Clowe is the odd guy out. I can't see the Sharks being a drastically better team with him in the lineup next year. I love his heart and his leadership, but his lack of speed just kills the team's balance. He's a warrior, and I hope DW ships him to the eastern conference.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote