View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Penn State Hockey Celebrates Pegula Ice Arena Groundbreaking

The official groundbreaking ceremony for Pegula Ice Arena was held today, so here are some link roundups from around the web:
Quote:
If you miss the intimate feel of the Hersheypark Arena, have no fear, Terry Pegula and the group dedicated to bringing a Division I hockey program to Penn State have you covered.

That's because the rink, which had it's official ground-breaking ceremony Friday in State College, is in part modeled after the Old Barn.

"The student section is as steep as code will allow, and the student section will make this a whole new feel," men's hockey coach Guy Gadowsky said.

"The one thing I think is tremendous, is I used to play in the old Hersheypark Arena and they had the stands extremely steep, and it was a tough place to play because you felt like the fans were right on top of you. That's the kind of feeling we are going to have here."

Link: http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...ks_ground.html
Quote:
Terry Pegula, an oil and gas executive who founded East Resources in Warrendale and also own the Buffalo Sabres, pledged $88 million to bring Division I hockey to his alma mater. He since has upped that commitment to $102 million to ensure Penn State hockey "has the resources to be a national leader."

"Let's all visualize Guy Gadowsky and (women's coach) Josh Brandwene handing off national championship trophies to their teams in the future," Pegula told the crowd of about 300, which included donors, members of the men's and women's hockey teams and former Nittany Lions quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno.

Pegula's donation is the largest private gift in university history.
Quote:
Pegula said he hasn't had much input on the logistical planning but made one request: He wanted the game-like atmosphere "to sound like you were standing inside a garbage can."

The 1,000-seat student section should help with that. As should the general excitement surrounding the project. Pegula Ice Arena will be the only major rink within an 80-mile radius.

"(This rink) is going to put a destination in the middle of the state," Pegula said. "It will become a place where future NHL players and coaches come out and play some more hockey."

Link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_792208.html

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote