View Single Post
Old
04-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Interesting. This could explain the difference between Martinec's reputation and actual stats. Is there a breakdown of game-by-game performances and box scores from individual games for the World Championships? That way we could figure out how each performed against the best competition.
That would be nice and some of the information is out there, but I've never seen it all consolidated in a single place.

The Soviets were scared of Martinec much moreso than any of the other Czech forwards of his time. They went to the point of fouling him in order to get him off of the ice, Valeri Vasiliev being the most notable transgressor. As it is for Maltsev, Balderis and Yakushev in the Soviet League, Martinec's stats relative to his peers in the Czech elite league have to be taken with a large grain of salt because of the lack of balance in the league. The Czechs had a similar system to the Soviets in which most of the national team players were gathered on a single domestic league team - in this case Kladno, for which Novy played. There is no doubt in my mind that Martinec was easily the better player, whatever the domestic league stats say.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote