View Single Post
Old
04-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
That would be nice and some of the information is out there, but I've never seen it all consolidated in a single place.

The Soviets were scared of Martinec much moreso than any of the other Czech forwards of his time. They went to the point of fouling him in order to get him off of the ice, Valeri Vasiliev being the most notable transgressor. As it is for Maltsev, Balderis and Yakushev in the Soviet League, Martinec's stats relative to his peers in the Czech elite league have to be taken with a large grain of salt because of the lack of balance in the league. The Czechs had a similar system to the Soviets in which most of the national team players were gathered on a single domestic league team - in this case Kladno, for which Novy played. There is no doubt in my mind that Martinec was easily the better player, whatever the domestic league stats say.
Martinec was also voted Czech player of the year 4 times, based I'm sure on a mix of domestic and international play. So it's not a Kharlamov case where his MVP voting was only a little better than that of 2 contemporaries (Mikhailov and Maltsev).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote