View Single Post
Old
04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Guys just digging around RWC looking at their old ratings and I saw this article about Franzen from the 05-06 season.

"Franzen is extremely strong and mobile, and his No. 1 priority is in the defensive zone. The 6-foot-2, 207-pound center plays a conservative game and ó although not a bruiser ó isnít shy about getting involved physically. When he does get involved in the offensive attack, heís a capable playmaker and scorer. Mature and very close to stepping into the NHL, Franzen has the physical tools and smarts to become a solid role player in the future."

Having been fairly young back I don't remember hearing much about Franzen's offensive potential. Was this a case of people getting the wrong read on him, or did the wings always know about his untapped potential?
He was viewed very much in the same light as Riley Sheahan is right now: big boy, very good in his own zone, good size that allows him to more than hold his own, etc. They both demonstrated good offensive touch early on but that part of their game took a back seat to the defensive roles they were put into prior to coming to the DRW organization. I think Sheahan is actually better at the physical game and is a better defensive forward. Time will tell if he develops an offensive game that can be realistically compared to Mule.