View Single Post
Old
11-21-2003, 09:34 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I'm saying that, should Isles fans start tossing out what they think Niinimaa should fetch from the Blues or any other team (maybe later I'll dig through the archives to see if I can find such comments), he'll fetch less than at least 90% of the suggestions Isles fans toss out there.

And I say any trade involving just him will not get you back more than that. If you're talking picks for Niinimaa and nothing else, a high 3rd round pick/low 2nd round straight up.. Period. Not a first round pick, not a primo prospect.

Considering he'll be arbitration eligible at the end of the season, (he got awarded $6.5 million for one season), they won't have to dump any of Demitra's salary. If you want to say you're looking forward to watching the Blues let Demitra walk for nothing at the end of the season....well, that makes sense. If you want to say you're looking forward to the Blues try to dump Tkachuk's salary or Weight's salary.....well, that makes sense too.
Exactly what posts are you referencing here? Where do you see Islander fans posting Demitra for Niinimma?

As for Niinimaa, he makes a fairly reasonably salary (3 million), is relatively young, and is signed for two more years. The Isles aren't going to give him away for picks and there is no indicition they are considering deleting him as part of a salary dump. And, even if all that was true, it doesn't make the package you suggested any less ridiculous.

Niinimaa is not Wiemer. He is not overpaid and he is a highly sought after commodity. And, yes, he would bring in a high level prospect or two if traded.

As for Demitra, there is good evidence that the Blues tried to move him this summer because they did not want his salary. Multiple sources reported that he was offered to the Islanders for the less expensive Peca. And, then there was the move to get Stillman off your payroll. I'd say that payroll cuts in St. Louis are quite likely this summer, as they are in many NHL cities. I'll go further to predict (without any degree of certainty at all) that this is Demitra's last season in St. Louis.