View Single Post
Old
11-21-2003, 09:46 AM
wazee

vCash: 500
At the risk of feeding Booger’s vanity or his paranoia or both , I will chime in with my position on diving.

IMO, diving is merely a symptom of the real problem. The real problem is that the game is currently officiated in a way that favors the unskilled players and penalizes the skilled players.

Unskilled players are allowed to hook, hold, clutch, grab, ski behind and catch piggy-back rides on skilled players every shift in every game. Eventually, skilled players realize that the officials are not going to enforce the rules unless something extra-ordinary occurs. Diving is one way they deal with it. Speaking out in the press like Hull, Lemieux, and Thornton have done is another.

I am in favor of calling the game by the rules…and that includes diving. However, when I watch a game…and I watch many…I see at least a dozen uncalled obstruction violations for each uncalled dive.

I guess that is why I don’t get upset about diving. If the games slugs are allowed to mug the players that are worth paying $100 to watch, why shouldn’t the skilled players be allowed to dive?