View Single Post
Old
11-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
There is no way the officials should be off the ice. One, ref's often warn players about things they are doing without giving them penalties. Two, who would stop the fights? There are dozens of more reasons.
I think that warnings are part of the problem, though. What goes into determining when a player recieves a warning vs. a penalty? It's just one more way for the refs to insert their own personalities into the game. And as I said, the linesmen would stop the fights. Refs rarely get in the middle of altercations.

Quote:
Refs have a ridicuously hard job, in that they have to call all these penalties in an instant, without the benifit of replays.
I know. I'm advocating that we change that.

Quote:
Dives are going to happen...players will always push the limits of what happens.

What I'd like to see is the league possibly handing out suspensions for blatant dives, or have refs be able to penalize a guy for diving w/o penalizing the other player. That would make a guy think twice about diving.

And I won't even start on the one ref thing.

Why linesmen can't call blatant behind-the-play penalties I don't know.

I'd like to see more proactive league office, too. League disciplanarians could do wonders for the game if they actually applied rules about suspensions consistently and effectively, IMO.

I also like the idea about giving linesmen powers to call any blatant penalties they see.