View Single Post
Old
04-22-2012, 07:16 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
your right to an extent.... but being better right now is better than possibly meeting said potential. Especially when the two players we are comparing were drafted the same year.
So if Beck came into the league next year and became a 30 goal scorer for the next 10 years or so while Bourque played the same game he has this year and had no growth to his game would mean what? If Beck's ceiling is higher and meets his potential, he is the better prospect. The terms prospect and players mean two different things. A prospect is based generally on projections whereas players are based on their stats and careers.

Just because players are drafted in the same year has no bearing on how you rate players. Landeskog was drafted this past year whereas Bourque was drafted a few years ago. Who would you rather have on your team? Don't get me wrong, I have become a huge Bourque fan but I think your point of view is a bit skewed.

And reading your retort, of course it's better to be better now than possibly meeting potential but if the player reaches his potential, then I'll go with that guy over the long haul any day of the week. The thing is, GM's have to look at all of this, what's good for the team now and what's good for the team long term and the only thing they have to go on is scouting reports, visual reports and seeing how these guys develop.

While I know Budish has had injury concerns power forwards do take longer to develop. If he can ever put it together he could be a real good one.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote