View Single Post
Old
04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
For those saying Kevin Dallman is the best, remember the reason he is in Russia is that the LA Kings didn't think he was good enough to play in the NHL. I haven't seen him play since he went to Russia, but I remember him with the Kings and I wasn't too sad to see him leave instead of spending another year in Manchester. Not a knock against the KHL, but Dallman is akin to the MLBer who goes to Japan and is dominant. He has some talent but isn't one of the potential NHL stars in the league.

I realize that this thread is largely aimed at Europe, but are there Canadian Hockey League/NCAA/AHL players who'd make this list over the Europeans? I'm not trying to spark a Europe vs. North America battle, I am asking this legitimately.

Last time I saw the handle "best player outside of NHL" it was attributed to current Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby. So I have no idea who would even make this list, but I'm fairly certain it is not Kevin Dallman.
Just to be clear I am not saying that Dallman is the best outside of the NHL, in fact he is far from it. What I am saying is that he is the best in the KHL (especially now that Radulov is gone) and by extension that probably makes him the best in Europe. The kind of offensive numbers Dallman has put up as a D-man are unbelievable and leagues may only see D-men that can finish as high as 5th in league scoring once every century.

I understand that Dallman will never get the recognition he deserves in the KHL. To say that your best player is someone who had ample opportunity to make the NHL but could not goes against the claims most KHL fans make of the quality of their league. I should also say that there are lots of players in Europe right now with the potential to be much better than Dallman ever was.

I expect the quality of players in the KHL to continue to improve so it probably won't be long until there are players there who are clearly good enough to be in the NHL.

To be fair this thread should have probably been called "The Best Europeans Outside of the NHL". I think most people are assuming that any North Americans good enough to play in the NHL would choose the NHL over playing in Europe. Also in a sense anyone in the AHL is in the NHL system.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote