View Single Post
Old
04-22-2012, 12:30 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
The Rangers have played a collapsed defense for pretty much the entire year. What this does is it allows them to block shots and keep the slot closed up, forcing the opposition to the outside most of the time. The other side of this coin is that the collapsing system gives Ottawa's point-men lots of time and opportunities to shoot (see Karlsson shooting as much as he does against us).

Do you guys think that this is an effective defensive strategy against a team like Ottawa who isn't afraid to wait for a shooting lane to open up and rip one? While blocking shots can be a very effective strategy for keeping pucks away from our net, it also isn't the most reliable strategy in my opinion. I say this because blocking shots can be a negative in two ways: First off, whether we actually block the shot or not, Hank is getting screened on the play. Secondly, blocking a shot isn't always guaranteed and there are many ways for a point-man to get the puck by. For example he can fake our wingers out or a shot can deflect off our winger and head towards our net leaving an unsuspecting Hank to make a great save.

Now I'm not trying to talk crap about our defensive strategy as it obviously did its job throughout the season... but what I'm concerned about is the number of chances Ottawa seems to be getting from their point-men. Do you guys think playing a tighter defense on the point would be a positive or a negative? This would leave SOME room in our higher slot area and could be risky, and honestly maybe our players don't have the speed to pull it off or just aren't that "type" of team (which is why Torts uses this system).

Just a couple of random thoughts I was thinking while watching Karlsson rip shots endlessly.
Great post. Thanks.
Here's the bottom line, IMO:
As to blocking shots, there is a time and a place. Much as any team would like to, you can't press 100% offense 100% of the time.
Blocking shots important to total D effort, when necessary should do it as expertly/efficiently as possible.
To our credit, we do this.

Unfortunately, while we showed increased offense taking play to Sens in game 5, all too often we get outshot. Would like to say forget regular season, except that all the extra drain and strain from such a D intense methodology depletes a team. While this is a very young, very fit team, it does not help, and is more part of the problem and the solution.

Constant eating of the puck and sliding to block shots (setting aside ? of whether or not our Gs are screened and issue of deflections have negative consequences), no matter how you view it, bottom line, is not superior to our pressing the offense in the other team's zone. It is extremely difficult to score, especially if not an open netter, from your side of ice into other team's goal.

Want to win like the old Canadiens, the NHL dynastic equivalent of the Yankees?
Play like them.
Great balance and depth, great D, great O.

This is truly a great team. But it is uneven. It is uneven both as to talent and as to a balanced style.
I have spoken at length --- not alone by the way --- of the need for more snipers on this team.
That will help immensely but it will not undo the errors of the style of play by our team.

Balance. And eventually depth.
If we get more chances, we should be ok.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote