View Single Post
Old
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
priceperlb*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
No, Kapanen is not a longterm solution on defense, and he also helps the depth on offense.

Also Rathje will be healthy next year, which will again make him the big solid defenseman we were looking for. Yes, he looks extremely slow out there, and he'll never be confused with Paul Coffey, but he's also only at about 70%.

When healthy his skating is good enough.
Well, I wasn't looking for Kaps to be a permanent solution, just a stop-gap. I do disagree with you about Rathje though. I haven't liked him (his game that is) since game one, or Hatcher but I find I'm in the minority on that one. I think the lack of a center ice line is what creates the speed in the "new" NHL and neither of them have enough of that to get back into position AND pressure the puck carrier.

Maybe the difference is really what we saw from the Sabres yesterday. They give up 2 shorthanded goals and don't stop. The Flyers find reasons to stop whether it's a shorthanded goal against or for or a lead or a deficit. Maybe it's mentality over speed that is hurting them. People wanted a scorer at the deadline, but we have scorers. They just aren't getting it done consistently and a new body guarantees nothing. Look at Doug weight. Look at Recchi being a leading scorer for them last season and coming up short in the playoffs. Look at Primeau with, I think it was, 9 goals in regular season and dominated the playoffs. Change lines, bring in people, do whatever, but it doesn't change the mental make up of the team.