View Single Post
Old
04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Posted this a few days ago over on the Sabres board, but seeing that this thread was bumped for the Redline Report article, here's another piece on Mark Jankowski from Thursday's Montreal Gazette:
Quote:
"It was my size, I was only 5-fot-8 or 5-foot-9," said Jankowski, a Stanstead College senior whose stock has risen to the point where TSN analyst Craig Button believes he should be a first-round pick in the National Hockey League entry draft.

While the Central Scouting Service ranks Jankowski 43rd among North American skaters, the latest Craig's List has him rated 15th overall.

"He reminds me of John LeClair," Button said from the Czech Republic, where he is covering the world under-18 championship for TSN. "I talked to people in the OHL and they liked his skill set, but he was 5-foot-8. Since then, he's gone through a growth spurt where he's gained six or seven inches in 18 months, and I think he's still growing."
Quote:
"There was no denying his skill set, but he's a much more confident player now," Rioux said. "His size and reach are big assets. He's a two-way player who's good in his own zone. He's one of the best distributors of the puck I've seen, so he does make his teammates better. He's very unselfish, but he can also put the puck in the net."
Quote:
Jankowski has a number of decisions to make over the next three months. He has made a commitment to play at Providence College, but he may delay his enrolment for a year and play either in the United States Hockey League or the British Columbia Hockey League.

"I think if I went to Providece right away I could play, but if I took that extra year I'll be more effective," he said. "You can never go too late, but some people go too early."

More than 25 schools expressed an interest in Jankowski, but he selected Providence because he was impressed with coach Nate Leaman, who was coaching at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., when he first contacted Jankowski.

"What he did at Union was amazing," Jankowski said.

"He brought that program from nothing and they were in the Frozen Four this year. He went to Providence, and he's doing the same thing there."

But Jankowski is also aware he might have to make a decision if he is a firstround NHL draft choice.

"Obviously, the NHL team would have a say in what they want, but ultimately it would be up to me and my family to see what's going to be best for me," Jankowski said. "But if they think something would be better for me, I'd take that into consideration."
Quote:
One thing that's certain is that Jankowski has more work to do before he's ready for the NHL. While he has grown in stature, he weighs only 170 pounds.

This summer, he'll be training with Richard Clark at the Athlete Training Centre in Toronto. Clark also works with the likes of P.K. Subban, Matt Moulson and John Tavares.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote