View Single Post
Old
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
With St-Denis... I find myself thinking "he can't *really* be that good". He must just have been on some kind of roll or lucky streak, riding a high on his NHL promotion, something like that. I kept waiting for the clock to strike midnight at some point in his auditions. I guess I half feel like that still. Despite having really liked the way he played and hoping that he's on the team next year.

I mean, if he really can be that good all the time... why the heck wasn't he up sooner...?

I dunno, after the circus on our defense this past season, and with management putting trust in young players and passing over some veteran options in the off-season, and the way it ultimately affected our season... I don't feel like I would want to rely on my positive impression of St-Denis alone. I'd want to have backup plans. Backup plans for my backup plans. If I went to camp with 8 defensemen plus Weber, plus St-Denis... I'd feel pretty good about that. I also wouldn't fear to waive the guys who didn't make the team, and to evaluate purely on merit and performance in camp (for the lower spots), not on reputation, salary, etc. St-Denis has at the very least earned a chance to legitmately make the team... so long as he can beat out some free agent scrap heap signing like a Bouillon would represent.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote