View Single Post
Old
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Expecting someone to keep their word is idealistic?

Is it any particularly surprise that successive generations are increasingly more cynical?
No. Kicking and screaming and yelling "they promised!", and expecting that to be an OK defense is idealistic. This is a multi-million (billion?) dollar organization. They play by different rules, that are governed by the bottom line, not human decency.

Quote:

Do they have to be?

Remember, we're pillorying Bard for being a bad team player. The burden of proof is on those accusing Bard.

If he was digging in his heels and refusing to pitch out of the pen that's one thing. That's being a clubhouse lawyer rather than a team player. It's also not what Bard's doing.
If he did that, he wouldn't be in MLB for very long.

Quote:
After all, he's gone along with everything they asked him to do, and only extracted a promise that the changeover would not be permanent. That's not really unreasonable.
No. Going along with everything they've asked him to do doesn't include publicly laying out ground rules around a move to the bullpen. This team is screaming for some leadership, not someone to throw more gas on the fire, and that's exactly what he did with these comments.

I don't begrudge him for being pissed off. I don't blame him for not being happy. But there's a right way and a wrong way to handle your displeasure, and this ain't the right way.

I'm usually all for athletes providing more than just a soundbyte, a cliche. In this case? That would have been the best thing he could have done.