View Single Post
Old
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne (if he stays for another season), Ryan, Etem, Palmieri, Holland...scoring is not going to be a huge problem for them.

Meanwhile...Visnovsky (36 years old), Sbisa, Fowler, Lydman, Beauchemin, Brookbank...not very strong defensively, and with Visnovsky being the age that he is, not particularly deep, either. And if they lose Schultz, they have very little in the way of defensemen coming up. A below average group of defensemen in the NHL, IMO.

I know they played better down the stretch last season, but the West isn't going to be any easier next season, and I expect Dallas and Colorado are going to only get better next year, even if SJ ends up retooling and taking a step back.

Only Edmonton, Minnesota, Columbus, and maybe Dallas and Calgary have a lesser group of blueliners in the West than the Ducks do. I think the Ducks actually have a lot in common with the Oilers. Some of that forward talent is going to have to be swapped for some help defensively.
Only 4 of the forwards you listed are scoring effectively at the NHL level, and one of them is on the tail end of his career. Etem and Palmieri are promising young players, but neither has proven that they could even come close to filling the hole that Ryan would leave. I won't argue that their defense is somewhat poor, but with a high pick in this years draft, and freeing up some money from Selanne leaving, they could have a good shot at bringing in another defensemen without dealing away their top forwards.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote