Thread: Div I
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
I would say they're much worse than both of those teams (Japan '98 and Italy '06).

At the time of Nagano and Torino both Japan and Italy were actually playing in the Pool A/Elite division. Sure, Japan had a guaranteed spot from the Asian qualifiers, yet they still were relatively competitive, having close games with teams like Belarus or Denmark. The comparison with Italy is completely uncalled for, they had a decent team.
You don't have to be in the top division to play close games against top division teams. As jekoh said, they were only in the top division because of the requirement that at least one Asian team be in the top division at the time.

And of course Italy had a decent team at the time - because they naturalized foreigners to be eligible for the Olympics. South Korea can do this too.

Quote:
As for South Korea, they would have 0% chances of having a close match with ANYONE. I mean, come on. They lost to Spain last year and had a 0-6 walkover against Italy. As much as I like seeing them in Div IA (for a year), there's no point in having them in the OG.
Italy and Japan had no chance of winning a medal either, so why make the rules different for Korea? The point of having them participate is that they are the host nation and the host nation traditionally has an automatic berth.

Quote:
Naturalizing foreigners is completely against the Olympic spirit, it's disgusting and makes the whole concept of national teams playing against each other pointless.
Whatever your opinion of it is, it is completely legal and regularly done. It's not "pointless" if a player is willing to go out of his way to become eligible to participate for a national team he identifies with.

If you have citizenship and have played at least 2 years in that country (4 if you played for a different national team previously), you are eligible according to the IIHF. These are actually pretty strict rules compared to most other sports.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote