Thread: Div I
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
I mentioned the Asian qualification twice already, yes. What is your point though? Have you seen that Japanese team play, have you followed the Korean NT? What makes you think that South Korea isn't worse than Japan?
Both Japan and Korea get their players from the Asia League. If you follow the Asia League at all you would know the Korean teams have been getting better and better every year. Yes, while the Japanese teams still dominate, the Korean teams were actually competitive with them this season. Likewise, the Korean national team continues to be more and more competitive and by 2018 I would not be surprised at all if Japan and Korea were of equal strengths - perhaps Korea will even be stronger! It is impossible to know.

Quote:
Just take a look at their record and you'll see that they're worse. I'm not sure what the argument is even about anymore. Korea is still having blowouts against Japan and Italy. What more proof exactly do you want?
Records are evidence of how they played in the PAST. We're talking about the present and future here. The Korean national team was barely staying in Div II less than a decade ago, comparable to the likes of China and North Korea. Now we are comparing them to Japan and Italy - what more proof exactly do you want?

Also, taking one game and saying they are always getting blown out is ridiculous. NHL teams get blown out all the time, yet they come right back and win the next time the same teams meet. Teams can have off days. One game is not a good enough example size to determine that Italy is so much superior to South Korea.

Quote:
Italy had a decent team in the 90s, they had a decent team in the previous decade and they still have a semi-decent team now. The same applies to the Japanese side.
And I'm not arguing against this at all. I'm saying Korea is getting better, not that those nations are getting worse. Although Italy's team in the Olympics was by far better than what they normally have.

Quote:
No one's talking about winning medals. Most teams in the competition realistically don't have a chance at winning a medal. What I'm saying is that they have no chance of getting a single point in the tournament. It's like sending a U-18 or a women's team in. They're basically not a part of the competition.
If most teams don't have a realistic shot, maybe it should only be a 6 team tournament then. The hosts are given automatic entry as a way to promote the game locally through the massive media exposure of the Olympics and provide a connection to the host nation. Asia is a very valuable market with great hockey potential for the IIHF - they would be foolish not to allow Korea to participate.

Quote:
a) it makes their games unwatchable, so the tournament is less interesting overall;
b) it is unfair towards the teams in the other group that would have to play 1 full competitive match more than the teams in the Korean group;
c) it's unfair towards the teams that won't make the tournament (there are chances that teams like Slovakia, Norway, Denmark, Belarus, Latvia, Germany would all have to play a pre-qualification entry tournament and there are only 3 spots available, if the system stays the same until 2018).
I thought the same about Italy before 2006, yet they surprisingly had decent results. Point is, you don't know what their roster will look like. They can naturalize foreigners like Italy did as well.

Quote:
That's another issue. Technically they have an automatic berth and that's another argument, we can argue about that, just don't compare them to Japan or Italy - such comparison is invalid, which is the point I'm trying to make here.
And why not? Japan and Korea are now both Div IA nations. Italy might be too after the WC. Your argument is ridiculous.

Quote:
"He identifies with" are the key words here. Getting some random Canadians is just plain stupid. Let's just send the Canadian B team then and tell them to play with the Korean shirts. Getting players of Korean descent is perfectly fine.
They can't just grab a bunch of random Canadians, they have to have Korean citizenship, and at least 2 years of play in Korea.

There is nothing about "descent" in the rules.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote