Thread: Proposal: All Things Jordan Staal
View Single Post
Old
04-26-2012, 08:53 AM
static80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think one of them, either Hodgson or Ennis, gets the cake offensive zone starts akin to what Ennis was getting down the stretch with Buffalo or Hodgson got in his rookie-of-the-month stretch in Vancouver. They get the V-R-S type of "easy" minutes which will help drive their production offensively since they've both shown they can produce in that situation.

In this scenario, Staal gets first PK, first PP, and regular ES minutes, slotting in as likely top ToI guy. Ennis/Hodgson split 2/3 and one of them gets the nightly perk of catching teams third pairing. Staal has an expanded role, Hodgson has an expanded role.... win-win.
It sounds good, but you need the talent around you on the wings to make it happen, and at ES, it just isn't there in Buffalo yet.

And I'm not opposed to going after a true #1 center, but I'm in the mindset of Regier, a big bodied center is what we'd be looking for. Specifically for the 3rd line role.

I don't see Buffalo making a significant trade to move up this draft, nor do I expect them to harness a true number 1 center, barring the possibility of Malkin (which one can dream, can't we).

But I see Regier using 1, maybe 2 of those picks and picking with the other 2, or perhaps 3.

Regier stated they were looking for a big bodied center, I believe there is a very good possibility Vanek get's moved this off season. I'm not totally sold, but the lack of production, injuries or not, from a secondary scoring threat on somewhat of a consistent basis should drive the focus of management to not only acquire that big bodies center, but also the winger piece(s) to achieve a true 2nd line scoring threat.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote