View Single Post
Old
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Personally, I would like to keep both, but this is about timing and defined roles imo.

Rask is an RFA and he signed for VERY reasonable money the last go around after he led the NHL is GAA and Save% in 45 games (2010-11). I wonder if one of the reasons he signed such a reasonable offer was because he was told that he was going to be "the man" in a couple of years?

Thomas is 38 years old and coming off a good (not great) season this year, and his NTC/NMC is no longer in place. I think he can still be a very good NHL goalie for the next 2-3 years and given his makeup, does anyone think that he will relish playing the backup in Boston? I don't see that. On the flipside, Rask has bided his time over the last two seasons, but how long can he reasonably be expected to be happy in the backup role?

Things obviously change over the course of a season due to injuries and surprise developments, but I think athletes like to have their roles defined whenever possible. That will be a problem in BOS from my vantage point regarding the goalie position as it is currently constituted.

If Thomas or Rask will agree to act as the backup for the next 1-3 years, based on who has the better camp, great, re-sign both and keep them together. I just don't see that happening, and if push comes to shove, you keep the guy that is 14 years younger and has already shown that he can be a dominant goalie at the NHL level.
Once again GloryDaze bringing the goods.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote