View Single Post
Old
04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah, scoring is the question for Australia. They have a chance, however. They have two lines of defensive players (Lewis - Fedorov // Berlinquette - Sanderson) who match up well with Gretzky - Kurri and they have a strong goalie/coach, so it's unlikely they're going to be destroyed here defensively. But will they score enough, themselves? I dunno. Conacher is a very dangerous scorer and he was a strong playoff performer. Leetch is going to have problems with Conacher one-on-one, so this series in some ways comes down to a referendum on Moose Johnson.

Personally, I think Johnson is being pretty well overrated by the people who call him a steal where he was drafted this year, but I also can't say I think he was a bad pick. I think there are a few small caveats with his career, but Johnson was an excellent and physically powerful defensive-defenseman no matter how you slice it.
As much as Conacher will give Leetch issues, I think the biggest question is how many issues will Gretzky cause for Australia? It is well documented that Potvin didn't do much better than an average job against Gretzky, I thought, and I'm sure the Islanders put out their best defensive players to go out against Gretzky as well, and he still managed to score. I'm not going to say that Australia will get destroyed defensively, but I do think you guys are talking a little too casually over how good a match Potvin and Australia's forwards are against Gretzky.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote