Thread: Proposal: All Things Jordan Staal
View Single Post
Old
04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
bobbyorrrrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think this is crazy talk. Wouldn't get enough TOI to justify the contract? He plays 20 mins/game. He's their top penalty-killer (Malkin and Sid don't play the PK). He can play the wing with Sid or Geno if they're trailing. He can play top competition. He absolutely warrants a deal in that $5.5-$6.25m neighborhood.

If they trade him for any other reason than he's expressed to them he's not willing to re-sign because he doesn't want to be a third banana for his whole career, they're idiots. You can make it work with the cap. Start drafting better (their forward drafting has been horrendous since Staal was drafted #2) and dump some of those cap-killing deals, and they'll be fine.
I'm not concerned with that they are trading him based on TOI or anything along those lines. I understand they could work the cap to fit him in, but I don't think that would be particularly wise. If I am the Pens my biggest issue is defense. Outside of Letang they have no impact players, granted Orpik was but I don't think he has much more than a year or so of quality in him much like Rivet. I don't think you need to put that kind of salary into your third center, which is his best position. Crosby and Malkin have both proven they don't need a highly paid winger to be dominant in the league, so it doesn't make much sense to put Staal on one of their wings, which is not his dominant position. I think it would make a lot of sense for the Pens to trade him for reasons beside his own discontent.

And similar to what many complain about here, it won't be easy to get rid of those cap killing deals like Martin's multiple year 5 mil hit. And even if you do get rid of those guys you still need to replace them. Few of their high contracts cap hits are players they would want to get rid of. So unless the cap goes up I think they are in a situation were they could trade Staal, despite his value to the team.

bobbyorrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote