View Single Post
Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Close to it but on the Canadiens he would always be behind Henri Richard in this regard. Better on faceoffs,more geometric defensively than Henri Richard who relied more on quickness and speed plus leveraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, very true. Beliveau of course had a size advantage over Henri, wasnt close to being the same hair-pin type skater, much more "loping", played the angles defensively forcing incoming wide, stood them up & if back deep never afraid to block a shot.

Richard was smaller, quicker, "crafty" and in Junior a goal scorer with 53 & 33 in 2yrs with the Jr. Canadiens. In the NHL however, he wasnt really able to "close the deal" quite so much, instead, leading the league in assists while playing a defensive role against the oppositions top lines.

Quite a feat really when you consider his size disadvantage against a Bobby Hull for example. Perhaps the most pronounced commonality between Beliveau & Richard was in their abilities to retain their composure. Never panicked, got caught, or if they did, wouldnt get fooled again. Consistency, intelligence, both had Class to burn, Henri in particular always well worth the price of admission, Beliveau somewhat more under-stated.
thanks for the insight. always nice to get a first-hand perspective.

on the comparison in this thread, i am starting to wonder whether i am fetishizing the best player on two dynasties thing. i mean, it is amazing. but it is starting to smell a little like nieuwendyk's three cups with three teams, though only very very faintly.

i wonder if this might be something like a messier vs. lemieux comparison, only closer obviously. one guy just passes the eye test as clearly the better player, despite the other guy's accolades, leadership, championships, etc.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote