11-22-2003, 07:25 AM
Patty Roy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Hamrlik ($3.6M)/ Parrish ($2.3M)

for

Hainsey (< $1.1M)/ Souray ($1.6M)

Habs add offense Parrish is a proven 20+ goal scorer, is just entering the prime of his career and though not a physical specimen, plays a consistently gritty game. He is an upspectacular player, but certainly fills Gainey's reported need. Hamrlik becomes your best defenseman. He too, is just in his prime (29) and should have many more years left. Logs a ton of minutes, plays on all special teams, and would be an ideal skilled veteran presence on your backline, as Komisarek (and even the still-youngish Markov) develop.

Isles add a tough customer to their backline. Souray, when healthy, is a #4 on numerous teams; if he is on your third-pairing, you are deep. Hainsey is a young, talented player who won't necessarily become a flashy backliner, but a steady one. Has much to learn; much to offer. Isles pare approx. $3M in payroll in this exchange, which would be the primary reason I'd consider it from their standpoint. Allows for further penny-pinching moves (Cairns? Janne? ).
From a talent perspective, i definitely like the deal for the Habs. My only concern is Hamrlik's contract...not so much the dollars, but how many years left? He's getting close to UFA years and i would hate to lose him a year after the lockout...