View Single Post
Old
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
vyktor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
there is some truth to when Shero says that it takes 6 people on the ice to play defense.

It is so much harder to play defense when the puck is turned over in the neutral zone. The play changes direction unexpectedly, and most the time we end up giving a 3-2 chance to the opposition.

How many E-W passes did we see to open areas of ice to no one in particular?

The System needs changed. Martin is garbage, sure, he needs to go. Still the entire team has to buy into and the coach has to be capable of putting in a keep the puck out of your own net first system.

It doesn't mean that we won't score goals. Doesn't mean we have to play a trap the entire game. It means we need to be more disciplined, you can't suddenly turn a switch on and do this. It has to be instilled all season long, which is why we couldn't protect leads. It's why we won a cup, those players had Iron Mike hammering defense into their heads for a few seasons prior.
The system may in fact be part of the problem, but no matter what system you play there are still going to be some odd man rushes, and Martin and Orpik this year were just astoundingly bad on those. Martin just tried to stick check on them most of the time, and Orpik backed away leaving huge gaps and failed to take away the pass on 2on1s more than I can count. You know that Martin isn't going to play the body, but Orpik gave out enough of his along the boards hits that I can't figure out what was up with him, I don't buy the he was hurt line.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote