View Single Post
Old
04-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If you want to limit the amount of punishment Orr gets, by limiting the time he spends possessing the puck, I'm not sure it's a bad thing for NJ.

It's not like Gus Mortson was known for his amazing out pass or anything, he's just not a "blocker" type like Hitchman. Henri and Orr are going to have to stay back to give him easier outlets.
The goal is to make you guys get a piece of him in the open ice as opposed to in his corner with his back turned and Stuart or Lindsay bearing down on him. I agree Mortson's not some amazing PMD, but he was an underrated rusher with decent puck skills. I'm not going to ask him to do too much, just try to get after the puck and hit whichever one of his more talented teammates is open. I don't Henri will have trouble taking care of his own end while the puck's there, actually he's sort of relied on defensively for that line. And at worst this frees Orr up to take a pass in open ice or simply trail the play. I think Mortson's skillset could pay dividends as the series progresses as well, he's much more fearsome to go into the corners with than Orr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't know how you can look at those numbers and claim that Tremblay, whose only top 20 finish in points was 17th, while often being centered by Jean Beliveau, is even in the same league offensively as Laprade, who has 4 top 20 finishes in points playing with relative nobodies.

Also keep in mind that Mush March played on an incredibly defensive-minded Blackhawks team that was usually awful, but had its best years coached by the trapping coach Tommy Gorman. Marsh was generally always among the leaders of his team in scoring (often 2nd or 3rd).

Offensively, Laprade and Nevin seem like the best players and I don't think a lot separates their production. The reason NJ's third line will produce more is chemistry - Neither Gilles Tremblay nor Blair Russell has any playmaking to speak of. If Nevin has to act as a playmaker, it certainly decreases his production, as he was more of a goal scorer than playmaker himself.

Laprade is a good playmaker for a third liner. I get that neither Marcotte nor Marsh is an amazing goal scorer, but they are much better at it than Tremblay or Russell is at passing
You're right, Laprade and Nevin do clearly stand out above Tremblay. I don't know anything about Russel's playmaking, is there anything other than the lack of recorded assists that's making you suggest he has no playmaking? I'm honestly asking, I don't know if you ran across anything or saw reconstructed numbers researching Bowie.

I don't agree with the assessment your line will produce more because of chemistry. I buy my line's playmaking warts, but I don't see that offsetting the lack of finishing ability your wings brings. I get March will be playing a little more opened up, but he seems more valuable forechecking than finishing the plays. I think he and Marcotte create their own chemistry issues, and while this line will be great at ragging the puck and cycling it I just don't see them producing more than mine. Like I said, I don't think they're going to be counted on for much, but I think purely from a comparison of lines mine is slightly better in this regard.

Rob Scuderi is online now   Reply With Quote