View Single Post
Old
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I don't think anyone could have realistically expected Quick to be a finalist. The real question was Giroux versus Lundqvist. I would have gone with Giroux. It's a selective thing, in my view, that Hank gets the nod this year but Thomas did not last year nor did Miller the year before.

Even though it's a different set of voters, Lundqvist will probably win the Vezina, too. To me he and Quick were pretty even. When you're talking about a big eastern market versus virtually any true western market (not Detroit or Chicago), the eastern market wins out. Sportswriters are old and don't stay up late!

I don't want to denigrate Lundqvist's campaign, it was special, but it was not so much more special than some others we have seen. I think they got the Vezina finalists right, it was not that difficult because Smith didn't play great in the first half and the Blues split their starts, but here I would have said it should have been Malkin, Giroux and probably Stamkos, 60 goals is a lot even on a lousy team.