View Single Post
Old
04-28-2012, 12:49 AM
qmechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
My advice to you is get a net. Set it up in your driveway or garage, get a ton of pucks and shoot, shoot, shoot. When I was learning how to play (was 24), after work I would shoot close to 100 pucks a night for 4-5 nights a week.
I find that shooting off a board (dryland) is a lot easier than shooting on the ice. Dryland shots experience much more friction, which gives you a better feel for the puck and allows the puck to stay on your blade longer (more leniency on timing). Because of friction, it's also much easier to flex the stick. When I shoot dryland, I can really feel the stick bending like a bow, not so much on the ice. One of the biggest problems with shooting wrist shots on ice, is that the puck has already rolled off the blade and lost contact, at the moment when the snap is attempted. Dryland is more forgiving on this timing.

So you might want try shooting dryland first. When you've aced those beautiful high wrist shots, try the same on ice, but with a much faster snap and follow-through. This motion needs to be very quick and almost violent. (Sometimes I pretend to be very angry at the puck .)

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote