View Single Post
Old
04-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Third Lines

It's a pretty good matchup of shutdown centers here. Brind'Amour vs. Holik, Holik was known to be a pain in the ass for Brind'Amour.

Quote:
In the first round of the playoffs, Holik faced off against Rod Brind'Amour, who was Carolina's top center due to the absence of injured Keith Primeau. Brind'Amour was held to a single goal in six games.
I think if these two lines are to be pitted at each other at any point, Brind'Amour's scoring becomes a question. He is the better offensive player of the two, but I think I'd give the advantage to Holik in terms of shutdown ability, as he was one of the best of all time at what he did.

The Leader-Post - Jan 19, 1968

Quote:
Life and hockey have much in common to perfectionist Ron Ellis ... Imlach considers him the best two-way player after captain George Armstrong.
Armstrong was the better defensive winger of the two, and more consistently offensively over a long period of time. I think Armstrong holds a sufficient edge over Ellis.

Lambert was also a tough-as-nails type of player, who could effectively shutdown opposing players. I think if this third line is to meet with Gretzky-Kurri or Lafontaine-Mogilny, they will have a pretty good matchup, where they can shadow the forwards in effort to shut them down. Also, Lambert was pretty decent offensively. Murdoch, was not the strongest offensive player, but he was a reliable checking line winger who was pretty good defensively, although I do not think he is on the same level as Lambert.

Australia holds the advantage on third lines, this unit works as a shutdown line or a cycle line. It can wear down opposition by shutting them down, or by puck possession. Inglewood has the best offensive player in Brind'Amour, who is also a pretty good shutdown centre, but he is flanked by wingers who are both inferior to Australia's third line wingers.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote