View Single Post
Old
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The first thing that I notice is how poor Rob Blake's teams are overall in his career compared to most of the people we are looking at here.

How much of that is because of him and how much of that is the team is up for debate as always.

I do know for sure that most of the reason Blake's plus minus numbers aren't impressive is that the Kings sucked defensively as a team most of the time, and he was there most of the time.

I think we all know by now how much I think we need to be careful trying to use 5 man and team stats as description of individual play.

I mean by the same notion we can say Scott Niedermayer wasn't helping his team at even strength and wasn't a good transition player.

Not that I am part of the Blake fan club or anything.. I think his Norris is a very weak one, for example.
I think Blake was fine in transition offense, though probably not as good as he was in either zone, since his size and shot were his two biggest assets. I think his issue was transition defense, where his relatively poor decision making was his weakness.

As for Niedermayer, it's a little different. His R-on and R-off are both very high for the current NHL. It makes sense - his off-ice comparable went from Scott Stevens to Chris Pronger. While team definitely helped, I do think Niedermayer's high R-on is largely his own doing - he was an excellent even strength player with his skating, especially in his prime. Before I had access to these stats, I always said I'd take Nieds at even strength and Blake on both special teams when the two were compared based on "the eye test."

Blake's on-ice numbers are average, but other than a year and change of Bourque, his off ice comparables were not mega elite all-time greats (Adam Foote probably the best), so he really should have made more of a difference than he did at even strength.

I think he can be a #2 in the ATD, but he is definitely stronger on special teams than at even strength

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote