View Single Post
Old
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think Blake was fine in transition offense, though probably not as good as he was in either zone, since his size and shot were his two biggest assets. I think his issue was transition defense, where his relatively poor decision making was his weakness.

As for Niedermayer, it's a little different. His R-on and R-off are both very high for the current NHL. It makes sense - his off-ice comparable went from Scott Stevens to Chris Pronger. While team definitely helped, I do think Niedermayer's high R-on is largely his own doing - he was an excellent even strength player with his skating, especially in his prime. Before I had access to these stats, I always said I'd take Nieds at even strength and Blake on both special teams when the two were compared based on "the eye test."

Blake's on-ice numbers are average, but other than a year and change of Bourque, his off ice comparables were not mega elite all-time greats (Adam Foote probably the best), so he really should have made more of a difference than he did at even strength.

I think he can be a #2 in the ATD, but he is definitely stronger on special teams than at even strength
And yet they have virtually identical even strength and powerplay point production per season.

This despite the fact that Stevens was taking the tougher matchups in NJ and we believe Blake was taking the tougher ones on his team (outside a season and change as you said).

So basically all the difference is on the other side of the ledger where, yes, Blake and his teammates gave up more goals.. but how much of that was Blake and how much of that was his teammates?

It is quite possible that hypothetical very average #1 defenseman playing in his place would be less than the off ice comparables.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote