View Single Post
Old
04-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
Sweden was tying Team Canada in major international games since 1972

Canada has 30 million people and is the center of the hockey universe.

Sweden has significantly more NHL stars than Finland does, but has an extremely similar climate and wide arrange of frozen ponds to play some hockey on in the middle of winter.

I don't think many countries have as many great locations for shinny in natural rinks, than Sweden and Finland. Sure Russia and Canada probably have more... but Sweden and Finland probably have better acess to frozen lakes and ponds than Canada or Russia as a whole. Finland is literally covered in lakes and ponds, and Sweden also has a lot of ponds.

Look at Canada, and the US... what regions produce the most hockey players per capita? Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Michigan, Minnesota... all cold, and all have lots of frozen lakes and ponds.

When you compare Russia to another hockey giant like Russia... it's absolutely remarkable Sweden has as many good players as they do.

Personally I think Russia is the only hockey nation that compares to Canada, but Sweden is just about there really. It's incredible how many good players come from Sweden.

There's definitely something special about Sweden.

There's not many Canadian cities under 100 thousand that can begin to compete with producing as many NHL players as Örnsköldsvik, Sweden.

It's pretty remarkable. I think it would be a great place to play some outdoor hockey in the winter time.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote