Thread: Speculation: Draft Picks this Summer/Draft
View Single Post
Old
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
how much emphasis is put on finding a player that can be molded to fit the sharks play? instead of finding a pre-built star, you find the late pick that you can work with to make great?

does our development consist of ECHL/AHL/NHL or do we have guys on staff specifically for the younger kids to get the ready etc?

it seems that we rely on the college development a lot, since we rarely get high picks anymore and we probably send out scouts to monitor late round picks to see whos worth what in the organizations eyes...but i could be wrong.
They had a breakdown of Sharks scouting where I can't find the link. They have two guys looking at colleges for the undrafted. I half jokingly said they got Brodie instead of Matt last year. Very telling. Matt was almost in Calder contention. They also grabbed Connolly from Matt's neck of the woods so it would be reasonable to assume that they saw Matt. Topping it off, Connolly and Matt are similar types, undersized playmakers.

They rely on college a lot because they have been trading away picks. Picks are needed to stock both AHL and NHL. If a team shortchanges themselves, they have to go undrafted or UFA to compensate just to fill their AHL roster.