View Single Post
Old
04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros and Martin St Louis are a great example that sometimes year-end seasonal finishes might not tell the whole story. Look at top 20 points finishes:

St Louis: 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 16, 18
Lindros: 1, 6, 7, 11, 17, 20

St Louis actually has a better set of top 20 finishes than Lindros.. Considering they both spent the entirety of their careers after the Euro-influx, I think top 20 finishes are as good as any other seasonal metric.

Lindros competed with Lemieux and Gretzky for a couple of years each (but never really at the same time due to Mario's injuries and temporary retirement and then Gretzky declining), but that isn't enough to make much of a difference in the rankings.

I think we all know that Lindros was a better point producer in the regular season when healthy, and this isn't taken into account in the seasonal rankings.

I do think the seasonal rankings serve a useful purpose though - they remind us that even in Lindros' prime, his reckless style of play led to frequent injuries that lowered his end of the year totals to below St Louis level.

I think there are two options here:

•If you assume there are no injuries in the ATD, then St Louis > Lindros offensively even in the regular season

OR

•Lindros is better than St Louis offensively (as he showed on a per game basis), but he'll be injured for couple of games this series (especially considering NJ's physical defensemen) and replaced by, I would imagine, Ken Linseman on the second lineup for those games.

By the way, this is what originally made me decide to compare Lindros and St Louis:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Only 10 players have averaged over a point per game in the playoffs for more than 30 games since 1995

1. Alexander Ovechkin 1.35 over 37 games
2. Sidney Crosby 1.32 over 62 games
3. Jaromir Jagr 1.22 over 106 games
4. Mario Lemieux 1.22 over 41 games
5. Evgeni Malkin 1.18 over 68 games
6. Peter Forsberg 1.13 over 151 games
7. Joe Sakic 1.10 over 166 games
8. Eric Lindros 1.08 over 53 games
9. Martin St Louis 1.08 over 63 games

10. Patrick Kane 1.07 over 45 games

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...oints_per_game

Somehow five players managed to be at exactly 1 PPG over the time frame - Michael Cammalleri (32 games), Mark Messier (36), Jason Spezza (46), Eric Staal (43), and Jonathan Toews (46).

This is obviously not an ordered list of the best playoff players of the era but it does show how excellent St Louis has been in the postseason.

Edit: above stats compiled before 2012 playoffs

St Louis has never had a bad playoff year

St. Louis has been over a PPG in 4 out of 5 playoff runs. In the only one where he wasn't, he scored 4 goals but 0 assists in 5 games in 2006.

St Louis did this while playing a solid two-way game.
Whatever advantage a healthy Lindros has over St Louis in the regular season is definitely reduced in the playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote