Thread: Nordic league
View Single Post
Old
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
finchster

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
As a North American fan, I wish the NHL was more internationally minded but they can’t see anything outside of North America. The KHL will not be any better in a few years, and will do what is best for hockey in Russia despite its reach in Europe. This situation makes national leagues such as Sweden and Finland’s less viable long term and will see their prestige and influence eroded in my opinion. I think the best course of action is to create more multinational leagues to balance each other and I think a Nordic league would do that.

I think a good start would be 10 teams from Finland and 10 from Sweden and work it within a promotion and relegation system. A Finnish/Swedish league would certainly be more influential and powerful than their individual national leagues and attract more sponsors in my opinion.

Below the Nordic league would be each nation’s national league (Finland and Sweden, as well as Denmark and Norway). Winners of the national leagues and the bottom two teams from the “Nordic League” would play a relegation/promotion playoff and the top two teams from the playoff get promoted or stay. While not ‘giving’ a team to Denmark and Norway, enabling their teams to access the “Nordic league” would create a major benefit to develop and invest in their own teams and leagues, thus growing hockey in these two nations.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote