View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Erick

vCash: 500
I don't really understand this whole Goc/Matthias comparison.

One, their respective games couldn't possibly differ more in terms of style. One is finesse, the other is more physical.

Goc is and always was better at faceoffs. (won over 51% of the faceoffs he took at the age of 24, just like this year)

Goc also played on a great team at the age of 24 and got less playing time than Matthias got here.

Either way, neither one really stands out offensively.

They're both checking line centers to me.

Goc seems like the guy who fills that role a lot better. Good at faceoffs and really, he was one of our most valuable forwards this year. Advanced stats show that we basically owned other teams in terms of puck possession when Goc was on the ice. Extra impressive because Dineen gave Goc more defensive responsibilities than any other forward.

When a forward gets asked to start most of his shifts in his own zone and he plays a role in gaining/maintaining puck possession for the team, he's pretty valuable. That's what the game is all about, really.

Matthias has his moments, but I'm not sure he's quite that guy.
We have so many players under contract/so many prospects that Matthias might not be here long.

The Panthers seem to value faceoffs because we're trying to be a puck possession type of team. Matthias won 49% of his faceoffs this year.

I'm assuming the goal is to upgrade at some point with a top-6 center, have Goc as the 3rd line center, and have someone like Smithson on the 4th line.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote