View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Best thing I can tell you is to play multiple positions. If you play wing, play dfense for a few games. Seeing the game from all positions will help as will your knowledge of what each position would like from the other positions. Playing defense you will know where you would like to see the forwards. Then when you are a forward and the defenseman has the puck you will know where your defenseman would like you to be.

One more thing. Most people spend at least half the game on the bench. Use that time wisely by watching what is going on. Try and anticipate the plays on the ice before they are made. Or if bad plays are made, what would have been the right play.
On a serious note, do this. If you play the other positions, you will have a better understanding of what everyone else does.

I started off as a skater, but I was terrible. I tried goalie and loved it, it's my natural position. However, I still play out from time to time because it's so much fun. As a goalie, I have an advantage over other goalies because I have an understanding of what the skaters do. As a skater, I know what a goalie may or may not do depending on the situation.

My physical abilities (skating and stickhandling) aren't as great as I'd like them to be, but when I'm skating out I know where to be and what's coming next. The physical stuff is easy to learn if you have the time to practice...but the "hockey sense" you have to learn by playing and if you play a lot and at different positions, it'll come to you quicker.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote