View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Can this type of play succeed against better teams or when the worm turns against you? My answer there is no. There is almost no margin for error, bad goaltending, or bad luck.
I'd say the defending Cup champs and this year's conference champs are pretty good teams.

As far as goaltending goes, Holtby has been very good, but I think part of the reason for the style being played here is the need to compensate for some of the flaws in Holtby's game - we're blocking a lot of shots, taking away shooting lanes, and sagging a lot in the D-zone. The end result is that Holtby's rebound control, which looks average at best, is not biting us.

We're also minimizing odd man breaks which is good because Holtby, like a lot of young athletic goalies, can be overly aggressive - which can get exposed when you face a odd-man break (that said, full marks to him for the stop on Kreider last night).

Fully agree that there's very little margin for error in this style. When we played a more wide open style where there was a higher margin for error, but the end result was - more errors. Fug R.J. Umberger, but the guy was right about us.

I just don't get all the teeth-gnashing over this - we all agreed (I thought) that the Caps couldn't win playing wide-open. They're now in the process of of evolving into a team that can have success in the playoffs - that's good. If this continues to work, the team gains more confidence, and that confidence creates a momentum of its own -- and that's how a successful playoff run emerges. We're not there yet, but we're showing all the signs you need to see to have such a run.