View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I'd say the defending Cup champs and this year's conference champs are pretty good teams.

As far as goaltending goes, Holtby has been very good, but I think part of the reason for the style being played here is the need to compensate for some of the flaws in Holtby's game - we're blocking a lot of shots, taking away shooting lanes, and sagging a lot in the D-zone. The end result is that Holtby's rebound control, which looks average at best, is not biting us.

We're also minimizing odd man breaks which is good because Holtby, like a lot of young athletic goalies, can be overly aggressive - which can get exposed when you face a odd-man break (that said, full marks to him for the stop on Kreider last night).

Fully agree that there's very little margin for error in this style. When we played a more wide open style where there was a higher margin for error, but the end result was - more errors. Fug R.J. Umberger, but the guy was right about us.

I just don't get all the teeth-gnashing over this - we all agreed (I thought) that the Caps couldn't win playing wide-open. They're now in the process of of evolving into a team that can have success in the playoffs - that's good. If this continues to work, the team gains more confidence, and that confidence creates a momentum of its own -- and that's how a successful playoff run emerges. We're not there yet, but we're showing all the signs you need to see to have such a run.
The Bruins were a pretty good team, but most would acknowledge they weren't playing to the same level they were last season. They've won one game so far against the conference champs. Not bad, but not great. Like I said earlier, a well rounded team like the Kings would likely send this group packing.

Team defense has improved leaps and bounds from days gone by. Being #2 in blocked shots in the playoffs seems so.... unnatural. Plus, the rebound cleanup is in a different league than when Crosby was camped by the side of the net tapping in easy putbacks.

I still belive that the Caps could have gone much further in the past couple years, but things didn't break in the Caps favor. In the grand scheme of things, luck seems to be with the Caps a little more this year. I still believe that luck and injuries play almost as big a role as effort, skill, and coaching.