View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
PSUCapsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I'm a big Ovie fan, but yes, there are at least a couple scenarios in which he has traditionally been turnover-prone. One is at point on PP, another is down low in O-zone when, as you suggested, he opts not to cycle puck behind net but instead passes toward high slot even when no one is open there. That does frequently lead to counter-rush, esp. when Ovie and at least one other Cap forward are so deep that they aren't able to get back.

But the solo sorties into the O-zone are not a problem, IMO, in terms of turnovers. Those don't seem to lead frequently to good counterattack chances. And you are correct that the O-zone turnover, as a general matter, is preferable to the neutral-zone one or D-zone one.

One of the keys is so-called 'hockey sense,' knowing when to dump the puck or cycle it because no other good option exists.

Semin made a bad O-zone turnover recently, on a play where he should have unloaded puck deep or along the boards. That one led directly to a goal. So the O-zone turnover certainly can be lethal, to wit, Bickell's pass to Ward on first goal last night.

I like the idea of winning the Cup this year and then getting DH back to Ontario in time for harvest, and for continued tenure atop Knight organization. Let's do that. I am not ready for an 82-game season in which 8 plays 13 min a game. (Yes, yes, I know, playoffs are different. I'm just saying.)

Based on how some other players have responded after getting out of Hunter Healthy Scratch Jail, i am excited to see how Halpern, MP, and/or Orlov might perform, if they get a chance this series.
I agree he is susceptible to pressure on the left point of the powerplay. As a righty he is at a disadvantage when the puck is coming up the boards fast and their is pressure on him. However the pro's that he brings playing that point on the pp still outweigh his cons. No coach can game plan for that wrister he unleashed yesterday from the blue line.

I also see him trying to make that long pass to the RD when he is around the half boards. That's a good play if you can get the pass through. These days though OV has so many people shadowing and backchecking him he barely has anytime to breathe. This is probably a point Hunter is trying to get through to him.

Am I crazy or does it seem OV favors his left side when hard stopping or cutting? He can throw snow 10 ft high when he stops with his right inside edges but I never see him do it from the other side. He might want to work on his skating this offseason.