Thread: Speculation: Mark Scheifele to RW for 2012
View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with this. I don't think Scheifele is strong enough on his skates to survive the transition to the NHL at this point. We pretty much all agree that Burmistrov was rushed - Scheifele would be rushed even more if he came in next year (disregarding age) because he doesn't have the puck handling abilities to get away from the physical aspect like Burmistrov does. Scheifele is also a more cerebral player so getting his confidence wrecked by being manhandled night after night could stunt his development much worse.

If he bulks up massively in the offseason, he's got a shot but I don't see the Jets rushing him. With Little, Burmistrov, Antropov and Cormier they've got their 4 centers. They'll likely either re-sign Slater and move either Burmistrov or Cormier to the wing, or sign a center who plays well on the wing . That would be alright .

Agreed. Little and Burmistrov aren't the one-two duo we need at center if this team is going to ever make it anywhere in the playoffs; They're just too small. As good as Burmistrov is defensively, he's not very strong in faceoffs and we saw his offensive game flourish this season for the short stretch he played on the wing.
I would not be upset to see Scheifele play another year at OHL level. It would help his game tremendously to develop his speed and puck possession skills while limiting his chances to get hurt by playing against players who would most likely be smaller than him.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote