Thread: Speculation: Draft Picks this Summer/Draft
View Single Post
Old
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i would agree it doesnt seem that weve had success outside of the top 10 in the first round. but the players coming through are different, and you have to go off what your scouts are telling you. if there is a player you could have at #16 that has a lot more potential than three players in 2nd/3rd rounds i say you are better off getting the #16 kid.

we can stock the farm, but if they end up like a mcarthy/ferriero (more likely) than a couture/wingels/mcginn type player we have negative value sitting in our ranks that most people wouldnt trade for. unless there is some type of great value coming our way i dont really think its time to trade down in the draft for more picks, but thats just my opinion.
It's them going off of what the scouts are telling them that has given them the history that they have in those areas of the draft. What it means is that you can trust the information you get from them, for the most part, with regards to the top ten and the post-first round gems. And to me, there is more value for this organization with what they have and what they lack, for them to move back and acquire more youth. If they can turn that 16, 17, or 18th pick into three 2nd rounders, I think they should do that because they'll get three chances at a Vlasic/McGinn/Nieto/Carle/Cheechoo. Will they hit on all of them? Probably not but the Sharks are in a position where quantity of prospects is better for them than quality...give or take.