Michael Del Zotto - Left
Tim Erixon - Left
Ryan McDonagh - Left
Dan Girardi - Right
Stu Bickel - Right
Michael Sauer - Right
Anton Strålman - Right
Justin Schultz - Right

personally i feel like mcd will have a lot more synergy with schultz than mdz will, and mcd deserves top 4 minutes. staal/schultz might even work.

schultz is the top college(wcha?) defenseman 2 years in a row if i'm not mistaken. he skates as fast as(possibly faster than) mcdonagh, similar defensive game(albeit judging by college), but his offensive game is as developed as(if not more developed than) erixon's.

erixon's a great prospect, but playing on that side kind of screws him. I can't see him getting a permanent spot unforeseeing injury unless we trade staal/mcdonagh/del zotto, and he's too good to be a depth guy. he hasn't adjusted to physical play, and his defense isn't top notch(but it's been improving).

personally i'd rather trade mdz(high value after this season) and keep erixon in the regular 6, but who knows what happens.

either way we're counting our chickens before we hatch. schultz is 2 months from being available, and we don't have any proof that he will be.

i really just hope sauer is fine by next season. he had a bright future.

hell, if sauer's fine and we get schultz i'd not be adverse to keeping erixon and looking to get as much as we can for mdz (maybe a high pick)

girardi/staal
sauer/mcdonagh
schultz/erixon

:O

also-- no... most sources don't rate erixon higher than schultz
Mooskating, we had a discussion on this subject matter (left vs. right handed pairings around the league) over the summer. Someone posted statistics for the top 6 defensemen for all 30 teams. Very few teams had an equal number of left vs. right-handed defensemen (3/3). Quite a few of the teams didn't have any right handed-defensemen (Philly being one of the teams that year in question), and a good portion of the teams only had 1 or 2 right-handed d-men. So that would suggest that we shouldn't place too much emphasis on the issues as it relates to our pairings. Even though it's not preferential, players have proven to be able to learn to play the opposite side effectively. Practice makes perfect. : ) We have some very smart and versatile defensemen in our roster, I'm confident in them to be able to make the adjustment if need be.