View Single Post
Old
05-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I don't like it at all, if this is true, it shows that Molson isn't prepared to do everything in order to make our team as good as possible.

Buy out:
2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667
= $10,380,954 total cap hit over 4 years

Without buy out it would be $7,357,142*2 years = $14,714,286

We only get: $14,714,286-$10,380,954=$4,333,332 in cap space over 4 years.

Buring him in the minors would save us all the $14,714,286 in cap space.

We would get more than $10 million extra in cap space by bury him in the minors...
Honestly though, would you want to make the team as good as possible over the next 2 years? What are our chances to get anywhere? Even making the playoffs might be hard before guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher and our 3rd pick get comfortable in the NHL and while we have guys like Gionta taking 5M cap space.

Say you want to do a short rebuild (which might very well be what the new GM wants), just keep your core young players and build around them... do you need cap hit space much? You're gonna fill it with what? Because be sure that Montreal fans won't be happy if the Habs keep 8M below the cap hit. Are you going to overpay UFAs with long contract that you might not want in 2 years? Are you going to overpay your current core players on long term contracts?

Gomez's buyout might actually be the best way for them to simply fill this cap room without actually having to commit to any new players.

In 3 seasons, when we should start having a more competitive team with the next wave of young promising players graduating/entering their 2nd year on the NHL team, Gomez's cap hit is going to be 1.66M, which is really not much especially if the cap hit increases.

And it might actually look better for UFA players wanting to come here in the future. They would much rather be bought out than buried in the minor (then again, that's not necessarily the attitude you want them to have!).

I realize that I'm totally painting this in a positive light when I'm really not liking to hear that either and would prefer to see him buried in the minor. Just trying to play devil's advocate a bit and not just see everything as horrible and everyone being stupid. But hey, they might be.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote