Thread: Speculation: Draft Picks this Summer/Draft
View Single Post
Old
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
I think you guys are starting to think too much like DW and his scouts. The Sharks prospect system is dry but that doesn't mean we need to load up on lower picks and "hope" we find a diamond in the rough. The Sharks need to find the next first round player who will turn into a star.

We have an aging team and are in desperate need of future star players to build around. Despite what people say we have 2 maybe 3 young players to build around, Vlasic, Burns and Couture. That is it.

I know people love Pavelski but quite honestly I have lost a lot of faith in him developing any further in the future. He may have passion but I seem him better suited as a career 2nd liner and still an inconsistent one.

This is why I suggested trading into the top 5. We need a player that can take the reigns in 3-4 years from Thornton. What is our top 6 going to look like in 4 years?

Nieto, Couture, Pavelski? Personally I think that sucks. We need a star pick not a "safe" pick or 3 2nd round picks.

I say we trade Clowe, Demers and more to get into the top 5 or 6 and draft one of the star forwards that is available in this draft.

I'd be willing to trade Pavelski even to get into the top 5 or 6.

Personally I'd love to do separate deals with Clowe, Pavelski, Demers and say Niemi to get maybe 2 picks in the top 10. Choose two forwards and a d-man and start preparing for the future. Use that money during the off-season to sign some top 6 forwards.
Vlasic and Couture are not at that elite level. Burns doubtful but could be. The teams that have won build with the complementary players first before landing that "star". The Sharks are that stage where they need the complementary or they will botch the process for the next cycle. Chicago was landing guys like Bolland, Buffy and Keith before they landed Toews and Kane. Pitt was nailing it with guys like Armstrong, Orpik, Whitney and Malone before they grabbed Crosby and Malkin.