View Single Post
Old
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Correct, however the fact that Feaster came out and said that he wasn't going to tank is indicative of the team going against, what I defined as, "the traditional rebuild."

I understand that there are different ways to go about rebuilding, and free agency provides one of those ways. My comments stem more from believing that "re-tooling" is the worst way to rebuild with the greatest amount of risk involved. You end up overpaying for a risk asset, the contracts are usually too long, and it can eventually damage the team's long-term future (getting the team to finish 1 or 2 spots outside of the playoffs for many years in a row, which means no playoffs and no sure thing types of players). So while signing Cervenka is a good sign for the organization, I hope signing guys through free agency is not their main plan for success.

While I don't agree with purposefully tanking, I do believe the Flames have very nice assets that would speed up their rebuild process if they so wanted. Instead, the management has chosen to try the best with the hand they've been dealt - almost a sense of denial. In a league where the cap is a major factor in the landscape of your organization, letting yourself go into denial will create a Brian Burke / Toronto Maple Leafs type of scenario.
This mentaility you speak of has nothing to do with Feaster, it's ownership. Every year is a new year though, and players can vastly improve (or regress) from one season to the next. Guess we'll see what we have come October.

All I know is that this is a great signing. Small risk and the chance we could be rewarded with a top 6 centre. I like.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote