Thread: Fix the Flyers
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2006, 11:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Gagne not accepting the captaincy, tells you where his heart is?

He is not the leader type, never was and never will be. Why put added pressure on our best goal scorer anyways? Gagne is a true flyer regardless of wether he is captain or not.
Gagne is the longest serving Flyers after Desjardins and Therien. It is eventually going to be his team. If Gagne wants to be the man in Philadelphia, then accepting a leadership role comes with it. Whether he likes it or not, he's expected to help lead the team. So, not accepting the captaincy does tell me where his heart is. He's willing to do all the things that the team needs to do while it's winning, but when things get tough, he turtles and wants no responsibility of being a leader. That's fine, but all great players are leaders. And that's the thing. Gagne needs to decide whether he wants to be just good or be great.

I also don't think the leadership issue would negatively affect Gagne. If anything, I think it would have brought his play to a whole new level. And that's what gets me with Gagne. Million dollar talent. Can skate, shoot, score, check, play top notch defense, yet when it comes time to elevate his game to a new level, he doesn't.

And I don't blame Hitch for this either. I'm sure Hitch pushed real hard for Gagne to be the leader and I'll give Hitch kudos for that. The leadership thing would have been great for Gagne. And before you say that Gagne isn't a leader, he was the Alternate Captain for Team Canada at the Olympics and has been a leader on the world stage.